Day one of SHRM is a wrap! The day’s conference highlight was an opening keynote discussion with Jack Welch, who described HR professionals as his personal heroes. Among the business writer’s other notable soundbites, below are some of my personal favorites:
- HR should be as important as the CFO. How do you do this? Deliver.
- Jack Welch’s tough love advice for HR: Do not be a victim. Make change and impact.
- HR is important in good times but defines a company in bad times.
- The number one thing HR can do to elevate status: raise the bar by developing and training the team.
- Government involvement in corporate bonuses is stupid. Top talent will always follow the money.
- Get voice and communicate like hell. Let people know what’s going on every step of the way.
- See everyone as a teacher around you and take from the best.
- People buy into change because they understand it and know what’s in it for them.
- The only way to win is with creative thinkers and innovation. Act faster and smarter.
- Trust. Earn it everyday.
- There is no such thing as work/life balance, just work/life choices. Make the choices that you are passionate about.
Meanwhile, at the expo, CareerBuilder featured a Top Chef Reception featuring celebrity chefs Brian Malarkey, Casey Thompson and Richard Blais of Bravo TV’s hit reality show “Top Chef“. Check back in the coming days for the recipes for all the delicious treats they prepared.
Were you at the opening day of SHRM? What were your reactions? Anyone get spotted by our secret shopper for wearing your CareerBuilder beads? Don’t forget to check out our virtual SHRM experience site, where we’re constantly adding new video, or stop by and say hello.