March Madness is heating up, but we’re already looking ahead to next month. But we’ll allow ourselves just one last look back at the news, gossip, and trends of March before we don our raincoats and mudslide into April.
Know someone 60 years of age or older who can’t retire because he or she needs the money? Over 70 percent of people in that age group are delaying retirement plans because they can’t afford not to, according to a recent CareerBuilder survey.
On the other end of the age spectrum, but on a similar note, a recent study finds that just 31 percent of employed Millenials (those who make up the 18- to 29-year age group) reported making enough money to lead the kind of life they want — leaving 69 percent who are not satisfied.
Compensation is the single biggest expense for companies of all sizes — which is why you need a compensation strategy. Our March contest question asked you: What do you think is the most important factor in determining compensation? We got some very diverse responses. (Stay tuned for more info on the Talent Compensation Portal.)
“I Overslept” is Soooo Last Year
Oh, and speaking of compensation, low pay could be an unmotivating factor leading some employees to be late to work – although the unusual late excuses (ahem, “My car door fell off”) given indicate otherwise.
What else do we know about cars? Well, for one, the employees driving them are often e-mailing on their smart phones at the same time – and possibly because they’re afraid of you, the employer.
Hiring, Health Care, and… Joysticks?
There’s no reason to fear video games in recruiting, however (fellow NES nerds, rejoice!). Turns out using video games to recruit and retain employees is serious biz – nearly 70 percent of major domestic employers use games to train employees. Another trend? Rehiring former employees — and FOX Television may be doing just that.
And good news! According to a new survey, 48 percent of company respondents say they plan to fill more job openings this year. Let’s hear it for hiring…
Oh, and then there was that bill that was said to be the most important social legislation in four decades. Maybe you’ve heard? We broke down the essentials of the recent health care bill (The Health Care & Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010) and jobs bill (Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act) and the impact of both on your business — so you didn’t have to.
What’d we miss?Related
Forget what you think you know about HR... it's all about to change.
Sign up to start getting exclusive content designed to empower you with the insight necessary to go from HR professional to strategic business partner.