It can be awkward and intimidating to be a guest at a party … especially if it’s a party of 15,000-plus in Vegas. Oh, and did we mention these are some of the smartest people in the entire world?
Lucky for you, we put together a handy list of do’s and don’ts to up your networking game — while avoiding awkwardness — at SHRM. So read up before you pack your bags.
1. DO study the agenda ahead of time so you can pick and choose your social events to make the most out of your time at SHRM. A little homework can go a long way.
2. DON’T ever think you’re too young or inexperienced to make a good impression and have a great time. Even if you’re a SHRM newbie, don’t be afraid to strut your stuff.
3. The number of unfamiliar faces you see can be overwhelming. When you walk into a room, DO find at least one of two friendly faces and approach them and just start talking.
4. DO walk around the exhibit floor during your breaks — not only will you have a chance to mingle with other attendees, but you can also win big. Come spin the wheel at CareerBuilder’s booth for a chance to win fabulous prizes and make some new friends!
5. DO plan your meals in groups. There are countless opportunities to dine out while networking, so please resist the temptation to curl up under the covers and settle for a TV dinner or spend time on your phone the whole time.
6. If you’re the outgoing type or you’re a SHRM pro, that can certainly work in your favor … but DON’T go all Kanye on everyone and try to steal the spotlight or someone else’s thunder.
7. DO make the most of social media at SHRM. Tweet/post/snap and connect with other attendees on Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels using the official SHRM hashtag.
Follow us on Twitter at @CBforEmployers as we bring you live coverage from SHRM. And keep an eye on the hashtag #SaaSyCB in the coming weeks as we’ll give you details to enter our t-shirt contest at SHRM – trust us, you won’t want to miss it!