The Windy City is not only one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world — it was also recently the host city to Empower 2015, CareerBuilder’s annual customer event and the talent acquisition event of the year.
If you were one of the lucky ones who made it out to Chicago this year, you’re probably still
rockin’ out to Zac Brown Band beats catching up on some sleep and trying to connect with the new friends you made, but we wanted to share a few highlights. Here, in random order, are some of the best moments from Empower 2015.
1. Coach K’s life lessons. Even if you’re not a fan of college basketball, it’s impossible not to be mesmerized by the living legend that is Coach K. He said it’s OK to call him that, by the way. He also goes by “Mike,” but you’re out of luck if you thought of any other nicknames because he’s not cool with that. He took time out from hanging with the president of the United States and the biggest NBA stars (such a name dropper!) to offer up lessons on teamwork like these gems:
#CBEmpower15 Coack K “Make everyone feel important, create ownership and FEEL.” If you do those 3 things, anything is possible.
— Mary Delaney (@marywdelaney) September 10, 2015
“Never beat you. Be worthy of winning. Energy. Enthusiasm. Emotion.” Coach Krzyzewski -Duke. GREAT start to the day! #CBEmpower15
— Jocelyn Lincoln (@jocelynlincoln) September 10, 2015
2. Spankin’ new CareerBuilder hoodies. If you were lucky enough to attend Empower 2015, you walked away with what some people are calling the best swag ever: a free hoodie! If you were in the freezing cold ballroom, you probably appreciated it even more.
3. Condi’s pearls of wisdom — and unexpected prior professional aspirations. First off, our guest speaker Dr. Condoleezza Rice, who happens to be the former U.S. Secretary of State and one of the brightest human beings on the planet, is cool going by “Condi.”
Condi had so many great tips on leadership and professional development, like these gems:
- While you have your sights set on where you want to go, be good at what you’re doing now instead of only looking ahead.
- Take opportunities to invest in other people’s skills and help others find their leadership potential.
- Be careful who wish to empower you don’t disempower you instead. Learn to fend for yourself.
- Never put yourself in the position where someone else’s reaction to you determine your inner reaction to yourself.
- You do need mentors and role models, but they don’t have to look like you. Don’t be afraid to be the first.
You knew she’d have great advice … but did you know that she used to be a competitive figure skater and actually studied to be a professional pianist?!
Is there anything she can’t do?
4. Connecting with niche groups. Whether you’re a staffing and recruiting professional, health care professional or you work at a large corporation, there was a tailored agenda just for you. CareerBuilder specifically designed niche sessions and panel discussions to hone in on particular areas of expertise. We hope those of you who attended took advantage of networking and making connections there with professionals around the country who are facing the similar issues.
5. MAJOR announcements. It was hard to keep it under wraps leading up to Empower 2015, but we were thrilled to make some big product announcements that are guaranteed to revolutionize the way you recruit, like Talentstream Technologies, the world’s first and only pre-hire platform that will take care of all your needs from acquire to hire.
— Leah McKelvey (@LMcKelvey) September 9, 2015
— Clair Bush (@ClairBush) September 9, 2015
6. Lessons from leading practitioners. Attendees had the good fortune of learning first-hand from fellow practitioners like Wynn Las Vegas’ Carrie Messina discussing the importance of culture…
…or Dominion’s Melodie Albert sharing best practices on an effective hiring process.
7. Talent Advisors take over the live stream — and our Twitter account. Everybody knows it ain’t a party until the talent advisor crew shows up! A big thank you to Laurie Ruettimann, Jennifer McClure and Matt Stollack for flying in. And, of course, our friend Tim Sackett did a terrific job of hosting the Empower 2015 live stream…
…and Laurie Ruettimann tried to capture a golden moment while temporarily taking the reins of our official Twitter account.
8. Dishing on data. Is this how you feel each time you’re asked to gather data?
You’re not alone! HR/talent acquisition has access to more data than many functions and our executives want us to SHOW THEM THE DATA,” says Chris Hoyt, former exec at PepsiCo. The problem is that the more data we give executives, the less they look at it; sort of like analysis paralysis. Lucky for you, CareerBuilder and Broadbean, a CareerBuilder company, offers a suite of products to help you make strategic recruitment decisions without making you want to pull your hair out. Imagine that.
9. After-hours entertainment. There was plenty of dancing and mingling at Empower 2015 after the sun went down. Move over, Dancing With the Stars, because we caught a glimpse of HR folks gettin’ down to the nae nae at our Chicago street festival complete with food trucks and a DJ.
10. Zac Brown Band. Empower 2015 attendees got to kick back with three-time Grammy winners and multi-platinum artists Zac Brown Band at a private concert just for them at the Lincoln Park Zoo, a Chicago landmark. Not a bad way to close out an event.